Colonial Players offers a wide variety of dramatic productions in the heart of downtown Annapolis. Founded in 1949 by a group of Annapolitans dedicated to bringing high quality theater to what was then a very small town on the Chesapeake Bay, the theater continues to thrive with a dedicated corps of volunteers and a loyal subscriber base. Our first production in 1949, The Male Animal, was staged in the Annapolis Recreation Center at the foot of Compromise Street. A scan of the original playbill is shown below. Click on either page to enlarge the pages.
In 1955, Colonial Players purchased an old car repair shop on East Street, the current location of the theater. Numerous expansions and renovations over the years created the 180 seat arena theater we enjoy today. In 1989, Colonial Players purchased two units in the Renard Court industrial center on General's Highway which house the scenery and costume shops, rehearsal space, and a board meeting room. Our regular seasons have included classic, contemporary and cutting edge comedies, dramas, and musicals. Experimental theater, theater for children, works by new playwrights, one-act play festivals, workshops, talk-backs and forums, and our traditional production of A Christmas Carol fulfill our mission to entertain, educate, and enrich our community through the dramatic arts.